Course Reserves for Print and Non-Print Materials (CDs, DVDs, videotapes, etc.):
Reserve Information for Students:
- Reserve materials are held at the Circulation/Reserves Desk on the first floor of the library
- Only one copy of a literary work (a novel, short story collection, play, or poetry) is placed on reserve; second or multiple copies remain in the stacks and circulate for the semester.
- Fines for Reserve materials are $1.00 per hour, to a maximum of $50.00 for each item.
- Information about Columbia Libraries Course Reserves
|Reserve Type||How Many?||Loan Period||Weeknight Reserves||Weekend Reserves|
|One at a time||2 hours||Weeknights after 10pm Closed Copies go out until 8:45am the next day.||After 4pm Closed Copies go out until 10am the next day|
|One at a time||2 hours||Weeknights after 3pm Open Copies go out until 10am the next day (Patron can take 2 open copies for the evening)||Starting Friday at Noon, Open Copies can go out for the weekend and are due Monday Morning at 10am|
|Prof Books||One at a time||2 hours|
Reserve Information for Faculty:
Submitting a course Reserve list
- Reserve materials for all Barnard courses are processed at the Barnard Library
- Course reserve lists may not be duplicated at multiple libraries.
- Faculty can submit reserves lists for any course on the Columbia Libraries Course Reserves Page.
When to submit a reserve list
- Reserve lists are processed in the order that they are received.
- Submitting a reserve list for an upcoming semester before the end of the current semester is recommended.
How to submit a reserve list
- In person at the Circulation/Reserve Desk on the first floor of the Library
- By email at email@example.com
- By mail (Reserves, Barnard Library)
How to check the status of a reserve list
- Reserve lists for print materials can be tracked in CLIO using the Course Reserves Search.
- Reserve lists for non-print materials are not searchable via CLIO.
General Reserve List Policies:
- If Barnard owns a book that is requested, the library's copy will be placed on reserve.
- If Barnard does not own a copy, It will purchase a copy for the reserves collection.
- Our rule of thumb for books is one copy for every 35 students in a class.
- We will purchase only one copy of a course pack.
- Only copies of required readings are put on reserve. Supplementary readings are not placed on reserve.
- All Course Reserve requests must comply with United Sates Copyright law.
- Please contact the Reserves Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.
Library Main Menu
- About Us
- Access & Borrowing
- Contact Us
- Empirical Reasoning Lab
- Find Books, Articles and More
- Instructional Media and Technology Services
- Make Requests
- Personal Librarians