Guide to Finding
Major Databases for finding journal articles
- ATLA Religion Database: Abstracts for articles in periodicals and collections of essays in religion and theology; book reviews are also included.
- Catholic Periodical and Literature Index: Indexes articles published in Roman Catholic periodicals, Papal documents, church promulgations, and books about the Catholic faith that are authored by Catholics or produced by Catholic publishers.
- Historical Abstracts provides citations to journal articles on all aspects of world history from 1450 to the present. Journals included date back to 1955. Selected books are also available in full text.
- Index Islamicus: Index of journals, conference proceedings, books, multi-author works, book reviews, websites, and other materials in European languages as well as Turkish, Malay, and Indonesian, on all aspects of Islamic history, culture, law, art, and philosophy.
- Index to Jewish Periodicals: Indexes English-language articles and book reviews in periodicals devoted to Jewish affairs.
- JSTOR includes page images of key scholarly journals in the humanities and social sciences, including many articles from Middle East Studies journals. Coverage spans the late 19th century to the present.
- Religious and Theological Abstracts: Abstracts for articles, many of them interdisciplinary, in scholarly journals of religion and theology.
- Sociological Abstracts: Abstracts for articles in sociology journals that concern the sociology of religion, religion and society, etc.
Other Useful Sources
- American Religion Data Archive (ARDA): Provides data on religious groups and affiliations in the United States.
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index: Multidisciplinary database covering the journal literature of the arts and humanities.
- Humanities Full Text: covers noted scholarly sources in the humanities, as well as lesser known specialized magazines.
- Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective: journals in the humanities and social sciences from 1907-1983.
- L'année philologique: Indexes periodical articles as well as articles in collections and conference papers in classics and classical studies; useful for researching early Christianity.
- New Testament Abstracts: Abstracts for articles in journals and books relating to the Gospels and related literature.
- Proquest: Multidisciplinary database with thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and dissertations.
- Old Testament Abstracts: Abstracts for articles in journals and books relating to the Hebrew Bible.
- Religious Studies subject guide: Research guide from Columbia University Libraries.
- World Christian database: Includes detailed information on 9,000 Christian denominations and on religions in every country of the world.
- World Religion Database: International religious demographic statistics and sources, contains detailed statistics on religious affiliation for every country of the world.
CLIO - Online catalog of the Columbia University Libraries, including Barnard Library, but excluding Teachers College and the Law Library.
Religion call number range: BL
For primary sources use keywords: