Continuing of Select Barnard Library Services
During COVID-19 limits to access, Barnard and Columbia University Libraries are working together to support Barnard and Columbia affiliates’ access to services and materials for courses, research, organizing, and enjoyment.
We will share and update Barnard Library information here as we all evolve our practices and support for each other. Columbia Libraries also have a webpage that provides updates to their services.
Research Help at Barnard
- Your Personal Librarians are providing virtual consultations and class instruction
- Columbia's Ask A Librarian is available for extended hours
- For more information on Research Help, see our Remote Library Services LibGuide
Materials for Barnard Courses & Research
- To request materials for courses, please complete the Barnard Library Course Reserves Request Form or contact email@example.com
- To request materials for research, please contact your Personal Librarian
- Here’s what you can expect from us:
- We will work to find, license, and make available e-content - and share Open Access resources - everywhere possible
- Some e-content is only available for individual purchase and Libraries can’t license and share it; if this is the case, we’ll let you know (let us know if you are a Barnard student and need referrals to Barnard financial support)
- Some materials are not available in digital format; if this is the case, we’ll connect you with your Personal Librarian for help finding different digital resources to support your course’s learning objectives and/or your research objectives
Barnard Materials for Personal Use, Organizing & Enjoyment
- We are working on building collections of freely available materials: you can see these lists on our Barnard Intersectional Feminist EBook Reading List, streaming media on Kanopy and Swank, in our eaudiobook collection, and in our growing Open Access resources collection.
- To request digital materials for personal use, please contact your Personal Librarian
For any other questions about materials you need or want, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials You Have Checked Out
- Renew Items you have checked out by visiting your account in CLIO (“log in” link at top right or direct link)
- Barnard and Columbia students, faculty, and staff have unlimited renewals on regularly circulating items
- During this time you can also renew Borrow Direct and ILL items
- Need extensions on things you can’t renew on CLIO? Please email email@example.com
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about or for help with fines or if your account is blocked and you don’t have access to eresources
- Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Barnard Library materials no longer incur fines
- Barnard Library always forgives all past fines on Barnard materials
- We can share information about who to contact for any fines on your account for other Libraries’ materials
- All Library materials have an extended due date of 10/2/20 and can be renewed (see above)
- There will be no fines on Library materials
- Barnard students may return any library items (including items from all Columbia Libraries, Borrow Direct, ILL, and ReCAP items) to the blue bin in the lobby of Barnard Hall (all other book drops are closed); this service is a partnership between Barnard Facilities and Barnard Library
- Any Columbia University affiliates, including Barnard students, staff, and faculty, may also return materials to the book drop in front of Butler Library on the Columbia campus
- For any additional questions about these areas, please email email@example.com.
Physical Materials at Libraries
While the Libraries are closed, there is limited access to physical materials at the Libraries. Please contact us for help researching digital alternatives.
Recalls: While the Libraries are closed, materials cannot be recalled.
Holds: While the Libraries are closed, no holds are available for pickup. Please reach out if you requested a print item that is currently inaccessible; we will try to access an e-resource alternative if available. All holds placed before the Libraries closed in March have expired; when the Libraries reopen, new holds will need to be placed if you still need these items.
Scans: Limited print collections at Butler Library are now available for Scan & Deliver request; you will see the "Scan" request link in the catalog record for these items. Barnard Library is not scanning materials at this time.