Look at reference works like those on this list to find overviews and background information on your text and topic.
- When you come across useful words, concepts, keywords and names related to your topic, make a note of them to use in further searching.
- Keep a careful record of where you find useful ideas or quotes.
- Scholarly reference works like these can be cited in your paper.
Reference Sources on Literature
- The Cambridge Companion to Feminist Literary Theory
- Dictionary of Literary Biography
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism
- Literature Criticism Online
- The Blackwell Companion to the Bible in English Literature
- A Brontë Encyclopedia
- The Cambridge Companion to Virginia Woolf
- A Companion to Milton
- The Encyclopedia of Romantic Literature
- Encyclopedia of the Romantic Era, 1760-1850
Other Subject Areas
- The Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology
- Encyclopædia Britannica Online
- Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- Oxford Reference Online