Guide to Finding
- AccessScience from McGraw-Hill
- Credo Reference: Science
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences
- MIT CogNet
- Oxford Reference Online
Finding Scientific Literature, including Articles, Conference Papers, and Preprints
- Animal Behavior Abstracts
Provides access to the literature on animal behavior, with subjects ranging from neurophysiology to behavioral ecology, from genetics to applied ethology.
- Biological Abstracts
Provides access to the literature in biology and the life sciences.
- Current Protocols in Molecular Biology
A compilation of protocols for molecular biology experimental procedures.
- Google Scholar
Only finds scholarly materials - articles, books and citations - but searches full text, and will often find too many irrelevant articles. Go to Settings and enable "Library Links" for Columbia University - this will make the Columbia e-Link show up in the results list so that you can easily go to the full text.
- JoVE, the Journal of Visualized Experiments
The world's first peer reviewed scientific video journal.
Indexes the literature of psychology and related fields.
Database from the National Library of Medicine containing citations to articles in Medline (see Medline, PubMed, and PMC (PubMed Central): How are they different?), additional life science journals, and the integrated molecular biology databases included in the National Center for Biotechnology Information retrieval system (including DNA and protein sequences, 3-D protein structure data, and assemblies of complete genomes)
Abstracts and full text of articles in the sciences, technology, medicine and social sciences.
Excellent source for citation searching or finding original articles in physics.
- Web of Science
Scholarly articles in all disciplines. This database offers many ways of analysing citation counts, trends in numbers of citations over time, most influential journals, etc.
Online catalog of the Columbia University Libraries, including Barnard Library, but excluding Teachers College and the Law Library.
Searches libraries worldwide
Citing Your Sources
- APA Style from the American Psychological Association
- APA Style from the Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Citation Management. Barnard Library Guides to citation styles, citation management software, and avoiding plagiarism
Don't let data get the best of you!
- Check out the Empirical Reasoning Center for all of your data related questions!