Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library. "Designer Alison Chitty's set for the Broadway production of the play "Orpheus Descending" (New York)" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1989.
Visual Research for Theatre
Welcome! This page supports visual research methods for theatrical productions. For tools and techniques for conducting research in theatre, please consult the appropriate research guide.
If you need assistance identifying additional resources, search terms or strategies, please schedule a research consultation.
AccuNet/AP Photo Archive
Associated Press archive of photographs from 1844 to the present, audio files of radio broadcasts, text of wire stories, and info-graphics.
ARTstor covers many time periods and cultures, and documents the fields of architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, design, anthropology, ethnographic and women's studies, as well as many other forms of visual culture. Users can search, view, download and organize images.
Digital Public Library of America aims to make the realm of openly available materials more easily discovered and more widely used. This resource offers a single point of access to millions of items including photographs, manuscripts, books, sounds, moving images, and more from libraries, archives, and museums around the United States. Users can browse and search the DPLA's collections by timeline, map, format, and topic.
Europeana is a single access point to millions of books, paintings, films, museum objects and archival records that have been digitised throughout Europe. It is an authoritative source of information coming from European cultural and scientific institutions.
24.7 million creative stock and editorial images.
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Online Catalog includes photographs, fine and popular prints and drawings, posters, and architectural and engineering drawings. While international in scope, the collections are particularly rich in materials produced in, or documenting the history of, the United States and the lives, interests and achievements of the American people.
LIFE Photo Archive has millions of photographs from the 1750s to the present. Many were never published before. Organized by theme and era.
New York Public Library Digital Collections provides free and open access to over 800,000 images digitized from the The New York Public Library's vast collections
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art ArtScope is a visual browsing tool that lets you explore over 6,491 artworks and photographs in their collection.
Tate Collection of images allows you to search by emotion (in addition to other things), which is fairly unique for art resources.
Search CLIO and Browse the Stacks
CLIO (Columbia Libraries Information Online) is the online catalog of the Columbia University Libraries, including Barnard Library, but excluding Teachers College and the Law Library.
Catalog Search Tips:
- Use catalog records to identify useful subject headings such as Illustrated books or Pictures
- Substitute different century numbers, country names, or art movement as needed
- Remember you can limit search results to items physically held at Barnard
- Use keyword searches to locate items, and then go to the stacks and browse those items as well as the ones nearby
- Scanners are available in Barnard, Avery, the Digital Humanities Center, room 304 in Butler, the Digital Social Science Center, and the Digital Science Center. See the full guide to scanning at Columbia Libraries.
- There are color printers in 304 Butler and the Digital Social Science Center in Lehman Library. (Note: Lehman Library is in the International Affairs building, not Lehman Hall at Barnard). Want to know more about printing in the libraries? See the guide on the Columbia Libraries website.
Browse the stacks using the Library of Congress call number ranges:
GT Manners and customs (including Costume, Dress, and Fashion)
N Fine Arts
NC Drawing, design, and illustration
NE Print Media
NK Decorative Arts
NX Arts in general
TT Handicrafts, arts and crafts
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance: International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text contains all of the content available in International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance as well as full text for 100 titles.
- International Index to the Performing Arts: Search and browse nearly half a million citations, abstracts, and selected full text records in a comprehensive range of journals covering the full spectrum of the performing arts. Subjects covered include drama, dance, film, television.
- JSTOR: JSTOR features full-text articles, book reviews, and chapters, with a caveat - there's no subject-searching and no articles newer than 6 years ago. But has some of the most extensive coverage of older articles (especially from the 19th and 20th centuries) that you won't find in other databases.
- ProQuest: Database featuring massive amounts of news articles from all over the country and from a variety of periods of time, as well as scholarly (peer-reviewed) article