Getting Started with EndNote
- EndNote comes in two versions: a desktop version that you download onto your computer, and a web version, and you can sync your references from the desktop to the web version.
- To download the desktop version onto your computer, go to the Reference & Citation Management page. If you have an older version of EndNote, you should uninstall it first.
- On a PC, you must download both the EndNote installer and the necessary license file, License.dat, and save them into the same folder before you run the installer program. You must delete any older version of the the License.dat file that you have in the folder (this is not mentioned in the CUIT instructions).
- To register for an EndNote web account, go to endnote.com, click on “Login” in upper right, then “Create an account.”
- For help, contact Lois Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org, (212-854-9095) or the Digital Humanities Center, located in 305 Butler Library, email@example.com, (212-854-7547).
- There are some very helpful training videos available:
Entering References into EndNote Manually
- To enter a reference manually, use References - New Reference (desktop) or Collect - New Reference (web). Select the correct Reference Type (journal article, book section, patent, etc.) so that the fields displayed are appropriate for the type of item.
- Remember that EndNote can only format your citations correctly if the information has been input correctly. It is important to check each field after entering or importing references.
More "how to" guides for EndNote Desktop...