Loan Periods for Books
- Barnard Library, like most libraries in the Columbia University Libraries system, has a one-semester loan period for all Barnard and Columbia University students, faculty, and staff.
- Columbia Law Library and the JTS Library have a four-week loan period.
- The Columbia Health Sciences Library has a three-week loan period.
Loan Periods for Books on Reserve
- Course Reserve books generally circulate for two hours.
- Monday through Thursday, books can be checked out overnight, beginning at 4pm. They are due back by 9am the next morning. Starting Friday at 12 noon, books can be checked out for the weekend and are due back Monday morning at 10am.
- If there are multiple copies, the last copy of a reserve book can be checked out overnight on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday after 10pm, and it is due back by 9am the next day. Friday though Sunday it can be checked out overnight after 4pm, and is due back by 10am the next day.
Loan Periods for Media (DVDs, CDs, videotapes, etc.)
- Audio materials: circulate for four weeks.
- Video materials: circulate to Barnard and Columbia faculty for a seven day loan period. Students and Staff can check out video materials for a three day loan period. Alums and Visitors can only view a video in the library for three hours (extended for longer material).
- Due to high demand, no renewals, recalls, or holds can be placed on media materials.
- Class screenings are available to faculty by advance arrangement. To show a video from our collection in class, a faculty member should send an e-mail to email@example.com at least 3 days ahead of time so we can make sure that it is available. The faculty member or a designee can pick up the title(s) up to 3 days before the scheduled viewing time.
|Item||Fine||Lost Item Charge|
|Circulating Book||$0.25 per day, maximum = $7.50||$100.00|
|Reserve Book||$1.00 per hour, maximum = $50.00||$100.00|
|Recalled Book||$1.00 per day, maximum = $50.00||$100.00|
|Media||$1.00 per hour||$100.00|
|Laptop||$15.00 per 30 minutes, or $30.00 per hour||Up to $2,000|
- If an item is not returned and the library considers it lost, a processing fee and a replacement fee will be added to the fines. The processing fee is $30, and the replacement fee varies by collection.
- Account Holds: If a library user accumulates more than $100.00 in fines, library privileges are suspended. For students, a Hold is placed on the Registrar account.
- Students who will be away for an extended leave, for study abroad, internships, and summer break, are asked to return all library materials before departure.