Barnard Library and Academic Information Services is a partner in the College’s mission to provide the highest quality liberal arts education to young women. We envision our space as a catalyst for knowledge creation and investigation - a vibrant social and intellectual center that brings scholars and disciplines together. Our unique collections not only stimulate the intellectual curiosity of our community, but elevate Barnard's reputation as a distinguished center for research. We build on traditional foundations of research and inquiry while providing opportunities for engaging new forms of digital inquiry and developing new media skills.
We advance the mission of the College by collaborating in teaching and learning. We develop and curate unique collections and information resources that establish a foundation for intellectual inquiry, ethical scholarship, and lifelong learning among women, particularly in the areas of women's studies, gender studies, sexuality studies and dance.
Our approach reflects our values:
- Women’s liberal arts education. We foster the students’ exploration of the world through the lenses of multiple disciplines and from a variety of different perspectives.
- Diversity. We nurture, celebrate, and prioritize diversity within our community.
- Engagement. We amplify our effectiveness through partnerships, collaborations, and shared expertise.
- Openness. We advocate for the wide dissemination of ideas, knowledge, and information to benefit the College and the global community.
- Privacy. We respect and safeguard the privacy of our users in their quest for information.
- Learning. We foster the open exchange of ideas and knowledge production in an atmosphere of reflection and innovation.
- Critical thinking. We value the appropriate framing of research questions, accessing and evaluating sources, understanding the economic, legal, political, and social issues surrounding information, and the ethical use of information.